3.14.2009

Who Named That Stupid Cat Heathcliff...

Do you know what I did tonight? I sat under my covers and watched Wuthering Heights and blubbered like a fool.


Oh Heathcliff.


If you have not seen this movie-well, you are probably living under a rock, but if you have not seen this movie I suggest you go to Hulu.com where you can see it for FREE. No need to bundle yourself up and head out to Blockbuster... nope, it is sitting right here on your computer waiting for you to climb into bed, or onto your comfy couch and fall in love with it all over again.


I have seen this movie no less than ten times and read the novel so many times that my copy is worn and frayed. Nothing can compare to the love that Heathcliff feels for Cathy-nothing.


Sigh.


The best line that any man can say to a woman is this one right here:


"If he loved you with all the power of his soul for a whole lifetime, he couldn't love you as much as I do in a single day."




You know the part I am talking about-the breath catches in my throat every time I hear it.


And then, at the end, when Heathcliff says his last prayer:


"And I pray one prayer--I repeat it till my tongue stiffens--Catherine Earnshaw, may you not rest as long as I am living; you said I killed you--haunt me, then! The murdered DO haunt their murderers, I believe. I know that ghosts HAVE wandered on earth. Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only DO not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! it is unutterable! I CANNOT live without my life! I CANNOT live without my soul!"




Ugh... it is almost too much to handle and the tears just stream from my eyes.






Make sure you go down and pause "The Muse" at the bottom of the page so that you can enjoy this to the fullest extent.

Now if you will excuse me, I am off to bed-I am looking forward to my dreams.

I miss my husband, the Heathcliff to my Cathy.

17 comments:

LindaJean said...

Oh wow you are something to watch a movie like this when you are missing your Heathcliff... talk about wringing your heart.... sigh...

Anonymous said...

I know Linda... and I think I'll watch it again tonight!

Anonymous said...

This is on Hulu?!?! June, you ROCK.

Anonymous said...

"The truth is I remembered that my father was an emperor of China and my mother was an Indian queen..."

*sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh*

The look on her face when he says that....
[wankette wanders off, lost in an Olivier daze]

Anonymous said...

"I want to crawl to her feet, whimper to be forgiven... for loving me. For needing her more than my own life... for belonging to her more than my own soul."

Ahhh... you and me both Wanks! You and me both!

Anonymous said...

Okay, I may have to give back my 'girls rule this world' decoder ring because I love to read and watch movies but 2 stories I have NEVER seen (and have no desire to see) are Wuthering Heights and Gone With the Wind. There, I said it.

I do love Jane Austen novels/movies, does that count?

Anonymous said...

Why do you have no desire to see these movies anon?

Jane Austen absolutely does count-which is why I think you would like Wuthering Heights.

Just give it a try-for me. It is my gift to you... romance.

Or you can hand in your decoder ring at the door. :) Oh, I am just kidding. You can keep it.

Anonymous said...

Alright, June since you asked so nicely (and I am a little scared of you...kidding!) I'm gonna go to Hulu right now.....my review to follow.

I'm such a pushover.

Anonymous said...

June,
It's 1 hr 43 minutes long!!!! Okay, Okay, I'm going...sheesh!

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness! 1hr. 43 min! What else were going to do for the next couple of hours? Sleep? Watch the television?

Just go have some romance will ya?

Check back when you are done... and then tell me who you are!

Anonymous said...

June,

Okay, I've finished the movie and all I can say is....Mea Maxima Culpa! (okay you I'm feeling contrite when I start quoting Latin; it's the Catholic girl in me!)

That was some story and Laurence Olivier...swoon.

the line that clinched it for me was " . . . he's more myself than I am.

Can you all ever forgive me?

Anonymous said...

Ahhh... you are a quick learn young grasshopper.

"I am Heathcliff"

So glad you didn't give up your decoder ring.

Counselormama said...

You have sold me, I can't wait to watch, I love movies like that, have never seen it....I know! I know!

Anonymous said...

Its is an amazing film. I cry everytime I see it to. Haven't seen it in years. To me its this strange thing that you know can't really ever be and yet where does this kind of writing come from? Thats what gets me, where did this little Bronte' get this?
Healthcliff and Cathy are far more powerful a duo than Romeo and Juliet. This is a very solid and visceral story. Now you have me wanting to see it again and I am trying not be some foolish romantic.

Anonymous said...

I"M just dying because the song you have playing by Van Morrison "Moon Dance", reminds me of driving back from Ocean City Md. in a convertible with my best friend when I was 24!! We had the top down and our swim suit tops on to get sun on the way home and were blasting this song. What fun! Now, I wouldn't be caught dead in a swim suit! Ann

Jennifer said...

Long-time reader here...just wanted to see if you saw the latest PBS version? The one with Tom Hardy? While this movie is not as close to the book, Mr. Hardy's mouth...I mean acting, more than make up for it. Might be a nice addition to your Monday Men...just saying...

~Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Jennifer,

You missed my posting of a big ol' Tom Hardy pic at threedonia, the morning after he appeared on PBS.

That man has LIPS.

He was also Bill Sikes in the recent "Oliver Twist"/same bat time, same bat channel.

But, I gotta warn you, he's mine.