1.09.2009

"Party Like It's 1999? I Don't Think So"

Ahhh, rest and relaxation with your husband is blissful isn't it? As of today, all of the lights have been replaced in the house, the batteries to all electronic devices have been changed, the van has been washed, waxed and had it's oil changed, and I have gained 2lbs. from all of the restaurants that we have eaten at because Carl is so deprived in the desert.


Ain't life grand?


Anyway... since I am still on "vacation" I wanted to let you know I am thinking about you by giving you something to read when you click on the Six-Pack instead of having you say "Damn June! When are you going to get out of bed and write this blog?"


So today I want to introduce you to Valerie of The Wannabe Redhead


Val is from Omahaheho just like moi and she is a hoot. Oh, and she is single so if there are any single fellas out there looking for a sweet, wholesome girl from the Midwest, just click on her link and introduce yourself. It should go something like this:


Outlaw 13: Hi Valerie
Val: Hi Outlaw
Outlaw: June says you are quite a catch.
Val: Well, June is all-knowing and wise... she is beautiful too! Oh, if I could only be more like June-if we ALL could be more like June the world would be a better place don't you agree?
Outlaw: Sure... by the way, will you marry me Val?
Val: But of course! I'll meet you at the Church on Saturday.
Outlaw: Great! I'll be the one in the front wearing my military Mess Dress.
Val: Perfect-I'll be the one in white (with red unmentionables)


Ta-Da! Easy.


Anyway, Val recently posted this little tidbit on the past and the present. I thought it was hil-a-rious. I bet you do too!



I went and had a few beers last night with an old college friend. I had run into him a few weeks ago while slinging the bling at the jewelry store, and he mentioned making more of an effort to hang out in 2009. Needless to say, we're starting out on the right foot.


Just to clear a couple of things up: yes, I said HE, but this doesn't mean that it was a date (we both clearly established that before meeting up) and secondly, it wasn't just me that he wanted to hang out with more in 2009...it was all of the wonderfully amazing people I hang out with. Last night it just so happened to be the two of us. NOT A DATE...again, just to clear things up so I'm not getting any random phone calls asking what's up.


Leaving the bar last night, I couldn't help but think about how much has changed from the first time I hung out with this dude. Now, I couldn't tell you the first EXACT time we hung out, but I do remember the two of us being at a lot of the same parties at UNK. Here are a few differences I've noticed from going out back then, to going out today.


1999: Boy No. 1 tells Boy No. 2 that they should throw a party. Boy No. 2 tells girl whom Boy No. 1 likes that there's a 3rd Floor Toga party at the Tappa Mega Kegga house. (Don't get the wrong impression here. I'm probably Girl No. 1's BFF in this situation.)
2009: Text message from one friend to another saying: "Wanna grab a beer tonite?"


1999: Wear toga without a coat, regardless of below 0 temp because "a coat just doesn't 'GO' with this outfit!"
2009: Wear jeans, turtleneck, boots, coat, scarf & gloves because "It's FREAKING cold out there!"


1999: Strategically plan how to be fashionably late, which would be around 10:00p.m.
2009: Wonder why the hell he wants to wait until 10:00p.m. to go out...Isn't that kind of late?!
.
1999: Figure out who can buy beer, because you're not quite 21.
2009: Get really offended that the bouncer doesn't ask if he can look at your ID. Make him look at your ID anyway, and act like you're just trying to be funny.


1999: Worry that if you talk to the same person all night, everyone will think you're DATING.
2009: Worry that if you don't talk to the same person all night, the creepy guy at the bar will come over and use the "Come here often?" pick up line.


1999: Conversation consists of who's dating who, and that Microbiology Class SUCKS (because it does). If it's a Thursday night, convince underclassmen that all Friday classes are canceled (just for funsies).
2009: Conversation consists of gas prices, health benefits, job transfers, and mortgage payments.


1999: It's Midnight and even though you hear your father's voice in your head reminding you: "Nothing good happens after Midnight," you think "What the hell was he talking about?!" and keep on partying!
2009: It's Midnight and you've only been at the bar for two hours, but you think "I should really go home. It's getting late!"


1999: NUMEROUS beers later, you go to bed when the sun comes up. You wake up around noon, and after a greasy burger and a shower you feel like a million bucks. You're ready to go again!
2009: You only had two beers, you went to bed before 1:00 a.m. This morning when you woke up around 8 a.m. you took four aspirin, showered, drank a soda, and used every "trick in the book" and you STILL feel like crap. You're willing to pay someone a million bucks to make the nauseous feeling in your stomach go away.


Ahh...how times have changed! I wouldn't trade the experiences I had in college for anything in the world, and to be really honest, I feel good where I'm at today as well. Not to say that I don't want other things to happen over the course of my life, or hopefully in the near future. I just want to be okay with each stage of my life.


Regardless of whether or not I get carded:)








Here are a few pic of Valerie. If the words "wholesome" and "sweet" do not come to mind when you view these like they did for me, well then I do not know WHAT kind of upbringing you had. She made me promise not to say "SWF looking for SWM to take long walks on the beach and candlelight dinners with." So I won't say that at all.
.
.

7 comments:

Mandy said...

LMFAO, I loved this post. For future reference mythbusters did a booze busting episode and the only two things they found to actually work at curbing drinking were exercise and being slapped. LOL, maybe something to try while hammered!

Anonymous said...

You'll have to repost this in February. Our man Outlaw is in the desert flying helimacopters until the end of January and is incommunicado. I swear.

Emily K said...

I can vouch that Val is a very sweet, fun-loving girl. She is my husband's cousin!

TWM said...

She looks spankable . . .

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

I just found your blog- Terribly cute and witty. I'll be back!

Anonymous said...

Welcome Domestically Disabled Girl... glad you found us-glad you'll be back.

-June

Laurie from GA said...

Dang - I want to move to Omaha and be friends with you two!

Enjoy your husband!

~Laurie