4.15.2007

My Husband Is Nesting...

I like to ignore the fact that pregnancy will lead to labor and delivery. I like to live my life oblivious to the fact that I will very soon have an enormous amount of pain to hehehoo through. I like to pretend I am still skinny and life as I know it will just keep moving as it does every day... my husband on the other hand is different than me.



He is nesting. We have done more "preparations" for this baby in the last 24 hours that I am starting to think he has the inside track on my cervix and whether or not I am dilating at all! He has been telling me for months now that I need to start getting prepared for this little bundle, i.e. I need to go out and buy baby stuff. I have yet to do this... I don't know why, I just don't have the energy to decide what crib sheets to buy, how many onsies I will need and if I should get a digital monitor or a regular one that will enable me to listen in on my neighbor's cordless phone conversations. It is not that I am not excited about this baby (although I admit I am still in a little shock from that pregnancy test that came out positive), I just don't think a brand new baby needs all that stuff right away. All she needs are some diapers, a few pairs of socks, a couple of onsies, my boobies... and she is set! She does not even need the crib set up because she will sleep with me for a few months. I don't need a changing table, because who has time to stop what they are doing and go into a different room to change a baby? I just do it on my lap, and a baby tub? Nah, I just use the tub that came with the house--it is amazing that houses come with tubs now and they work very well at bathing children, even the little ones.

Well last night we went to Babies R Us and bought out the place. I would sit and fret over which brand to buy by the amount of money each cost whereas my husband was in baby utopia and wanted to buy everything he possibly could for the baby-and he only wanted to pay top dollar! I wish he had this attitude more often, like when we are in a jewelry store or a furniture store. We came home with the van packed and my husband was very proud of himself.

Today he busied himself putting everything together. We now have the cradle up, the changing table all stocked and ready and every stitch of baby clothing has been washed, folded, and put away lovingly in little drawers. We are set...

I am not due for another couple of weeks, and my babies always like to hang in there for as long as they can. My theory on this is that they hear me yelling so often at their new brother and sisters that they are floating around in there thinking "I think it is safer if I just stay in here."

My husband has given me a list of things to do before I go into labor. I thought the wife was supposed to give the husband a list of things to do before the baby, but I have come to realize that my husband and I are nothing like your typical "husband and wife." Wouldn't it be nice if all I had to do was HAVE the baby?

4 comments:

Special K ~Toni said...

That is odd! Usually the dads don't care or have that nesting thing going on!

Anonymous said...

How funny!! Any chance you could talk him into breastfeeding?

The Queen Mama said...

"Wouldn't it be nice if all I had to do was HAVE the baby?"

Amen, sister. Preachin' to the choir. Oh, and I've made it through three boys over six years without a changing table in sight. Totally overrated, in my opinion.

Happy nesting! Enjoy those last few weeks without endless night feedings!

Unknown said...

I always like the floor for changing. No chance of rolling off there!