4.28.2008

Living Healthy Sucks...

All day long I have been thinking of a batch of cookies I made a few weeks ago. They were the most delicious chocolate chip cookies ever. They were the perfect combination of ewwy and gooey. I followed the recipe on the back of the Nestle Toll House Chip bag to a tee. I was in cookie heaven.

I wanted to make those again, but I have been on a health kick lately. You know the kind-nothing good to eat and doing things that make me sweat. It has been awful.

I thought I would make some healthy changes to my cookies. I substituted real sugar for Splenda and real brown sugar for Splenda brown sugar. I didn't care that my older sister thinks Splenda will give me cancer... if I can eat a chocolate chip cookie it is worth it. I also substituted real butter for my Smart Balance Omega-3 spread and white flour for whole wheat flour.

I was so proud of myself.

I waited anxiously for the cookies to bake. I had visions of eating every single one of them and not feeling an ounce of guilt.

My house started to smell like homemade cookies and my mouth couldn't stop watering.

I pulled the cookies out to find that they looked nothing like the yummy cookies I made weeks ago. They did not even get gooey at all. They looked like little lumps of disappointment on a cookie sheet.

I convinced myself that even though they do not look so good, surely they will taste like perfection.

I was wrong. They taste like crap.

Living healthy sucks. I want my cookies back! Curse you size 6 dreams! Curse you!

8 comments:

momto5minnies said...

Don't mess with a good thing ... you know that!

That SPLENDA stuff taste horrible when you bake with it. They totally lie when they say it taste like sugar. BIG SKINNY LIARS they are!

Unknown said...

What if you only substituted SOME of the sugar for Splenda?

When I was learning to drink diet soda, I would add 1 packet (16 calories) of real sugar to it to get "real" taste. 16 calories is better than 100+, but at least you got the real taste!

Hilary said...

"little lumps of disappointment"

I love that line. It's what most of my baking attempts look like so I just don't bake. That helps with the "large lumps of disappointment" which is my body.

truevyne said...

Size 6? I'd be in bliss at size 10.

Sarah - Kala said...

I'm a 10, hoping to get back into a 6. Something about eating all the cookies and junk in the house plus not exercising. Plus, I'm getting older. However, I'm joining Weight Watchers with a friend of mine who wants to join as soon as she has her 4th baby (soon). I think balanced eating and exercise is the only way I can get into an 8 again.

Anyway, I hate Splenda. But, bless you for trying!!

Hillbillburbian Files said...

Maybe try this recipe - it does use butter, but in baking, there really is no substitute. Good luck with the next batch - and DON'T GIVE UP!

When you're 85 and rocking the nursing home with youthful dance moves and yodels, you'll thank yourself for 'going healthy' ;-)

HEALTHY CAROB CHIP COOKIES

1/2 c. butter
1/4 c. honey
2 tsp. vanilla
1 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 c. chopped walnuts
1 c. carob chips

Cream together first 3 ingredients. Sift in next 2 ingredients. Add nuts and carob chips; mix well. Roll in small balls. Place on greased baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Yields 1 dozen.

Smiles - Happy Appy Wife

Anonymous said...

I'm not a size 6 or a size 10 (I don't wear dresses, my daughters would think badly of me).

I have purchased a couple of computer programs (one on the desktop and an associated on on the my Palm TX) to help me track my calories. I'd like to lose 40 pounds by next year and I'm about 5 into it.

I would rather eat one toll house cookie than a whole batch of splenda-laden "whatevers".

Anonymous said...

Even half-Splenda makes baked goods taste awful! I am so sorry you had to learn this by personal experience.

What is this size 6 you write about? (I am unfamiliar with it.)